Christianity is flawed because we don’t reason. That is one of the claims. If we were to be critical thinkers, then we would see that religion is wrong and we have been wasting our time. Okay.
1. a basis or cause, as for some belief, action, fact, event, etc.: the reason for declaring war.
2. a statement presented in justification or explanation of a belief or action.
3. the mental powers concerned with forming conclusions, judgments, or inferences.
4. sound judgment; good sense.
5. normal or sound powers of mind; sanity.
6. Logic. a premise of an argument.
a. the faculty or power of acquiring intellectual knowledge, either by direct understanding of first principles or by argument.
b. the power of intelligent and dispassionate thought, or of conduct influenced by such thought.
c. Kantianism. the faculty by which the ideas of pure reason are created.
– verb (used without object)
8. to think or argue in a logical manner.
9. to form conclusions, judgments, or inferences from facts or premises.
10. to urge reasons which should determine belief or action.
– verb (used with object)
11. to think through logically, as a problem (often fol. by out).
12. to conclude or infer.
13. to convince, persuade, etc., by reasoning.
14. to support with reasons.
I don’t have anything against reasoning. Reasoning makes a lot of sense. The problem is we are encouraged to reason incorrectly.
If I say that water is wet, that is a correct statement. If I reason that if I get in the water, I will be wet, that is true and a valid argument from reasoning.
If I say I am young, the statement is only true if I am comparing my age to someone else’s. I can not reason an argument based on that statement. In order to reason, there has to be a standard in which to base the fact on.
If I were to say I am a good person, what standard I am I basing that statement on? If I follow with I do or don’t go to church, I can not come to the conclusion that good people either do or don’t go to church.
Reasoning isn’t bad, but it has to be based on something we know to be true. I know God is real and the Bible is true, so if I base my actions off those truths, I am not wrong. I can’t prove God is real other than by my experiences with Him. My proof is in the changes He has made in my life. That proof is not adequate for some people and that is ok. My job is not to prove God exists other than to show Him to people. We can’t prove how the universe came to be, but we see it and know it is here so we don’t question if it is real. If we show God to more people, maybe they will be less likely to question if He is real.